Love to shop?

Just a girl with a laptop... this blog discusses the 'Marmite' elements of fashion, shopping and anything in between.
Here you will get news, reviews and attempts of 'witty' observation about the 'stylin' society that we live in
Warning! May contain typical British moaning.

Tuesday 15 June 2010

Extend Halloween? Definitely not.

Earlier this month, The Sun newspaper reported that a new fashion craze is sweeping American high schools:

"PACKS of teenagers are going to school as WEREWOLVES...

"The kids wear yellow contact lenses and fangs - and even have fake furry tails attached to their jeans."

At first I was a little skeptical of this story, The Sun newspaper have been known to stretch the truth, tweak story elements and completely fabricate their 'exclusives' for a spot of publicity. 

However, after researching this story I can conclude that this new 'craze' is legitimate in its existence... confused teenagers are actually expressing 'hate', 'resentment', 'individuality' and all that other stuff by dressing like 'creatures of the night' because apparently it makes them feel as though they 'belong' to something.

Now don't get me wrong, I am all for expressing individuality and such, and I must admit that whilst I was making the difficult transition into adulthood, I felt the need to regularly dip my face into a bucket of black paint and stock up on outfits suitable only for the most morbid church services- all in the name of 'Goth', but never did I feel the need to retain my Halloween costumes in the belief that I could integrate aspects of spooky dress-up into regular wardrobe circulation. 

Not many of you will have even picked up on this story, after all it's only teenagers being teenagers right? We all regret some of our past fashion choices and this is simply accepted as a 'trial and error' part of life that we all must experience, I just think that sometimes, 'trends' go a little bit too far.  

In this instance, the 'Twilight' saga has been blamed for kick-starting the trend, as the film and book franchise carries with it a huge teenage fan-base, but I don't think the origins of trends can ever really be properly pinpointed. If people are so easily influenced, then day-to-day life should be more interesting than it actually is. 

I mean, if groups of adults started dressing up as their favourite film or book characters, then they would more than likely be branded 'insane' and promptly removed from society. 

I enjoyed the new Ironman film last week, but that doesn't mean that I am going to forge a new outfit out of aluminium foil, tin cans and fairy lights. 

Come on kids! Yes, it is normal to want to experiment with your look and try and stand out in the crowds of mainstream fashions but I am willing to bet large sums of money that all of you 'Werewolf' people will look back on this particular trend and cringe with embarrassment. Take this piece of advice from someone who knows: there are much better ways to go about 'making a statement' than dressing like something from supernatural culture.  Be yourself, not a character from a story or a fictional creature... 

... However, if you are in-fact real Werewolves, then please ignore the above passage and accept my apologies and the promise that I will buy you a bone or a chew toy if I ever meet you in person... or... erm 'animal'...   

Click on the links above and below to find out more... 

No comments:

Post a Comment